Beauty: MAC x Mariah Carey review

Beauty: MAC x Mariah Carey review

MAC's limited edition collab with Mariah Carey was a fan favourite from the moment the product shots dropped, and it isn't hard to see why. The packaging is 100% Mimi infused: uber girly, glamorous and high on sparkle. I received the My Mimi extra dimension skinfinish and the Dreamlover lipglass in an event goodiebag and despite these being sold out almost everywhere, I figured you guys might like to see a review. Let's take a look!

Beauty: MAC x Mariah Carey review
Beauty: MAC x Mariah Carey review

Zooming in on these products really shows how pretty the packaging is - a perfect limited edition Christmas collection, in other words. No surprise that these sold out so quickly because what makeup lover wouldn't want to see these underneath the Christmas tree? The lipsticks were also stunning, in a completely glittery tube. Too pretty to use, basically. But a review is worthless without some swatches so I had to get in there.

Beauty: MAC x Mariah Carey review
Beauty: MAC x Mariah Carey review

The Dreamlover lipglass seems peachy bronze in the tube, but is basically colourless when swatched. It contains ultra fine silver glitter and is quite thick and sticky, making it last longer than your average lipgloss. Still, this is a product that is more of a collector's item than a must-have: a colourless gloss with some shimmer in there isn't hard to find by any means, but that tube (and the fact that Mariah Carey designed it/signed off on it) makes this a lovely item for glitter fans.

My Mimi: 

Beauty: MAC x Mariah Carey review
Beauty: MAC x Mariah Carey review

My Mimi is a warm coppery gold with a metallic finish and some micro sparkle. It felt quite densely pressed and you need to swirl the brush around a bit for it to pick up enough product. Since the product is so pigmented, this is actually a good thing because otherwise this would be very hard to use without going overboard. 

I used it with a warm toned blush here (H&M's Tawny Peach), and you can see how My Mimi is too dark to use as a highlight on my pale winter skin. In the bottom picture, you can sort of make out that the powder makes my blush look slightly patchy on my cheekbones because My Mimi is so pigmented. The colour itself is beautiful, though: a warm copper with an almost duochrome finish depending on how the light hits my face. From the side it looks like a cool toned gold, while it looks much darker and more brown-bronze-gold straight on. This product will look lovely on someone with a darker skintone than mine, or when worn as a blush applied lightly on warmer skintones.

These products are undeniably gorgeous to look at, but not must-haves in my makeup collection. 

No comments