Review and Tutorial: Batiste Dry Shampoo

Oi peeps! I have told you a couple of times before that dry shampoo is a literal life-saver. It saves lives! I only wash my hair once every five days, and dry shampoo is used at least twice on the in-between day to keep the roots around my face and hair-parting fresh and non-greasy. Ever since discovering dry shampoo about 6 years ago I have experimented with brands and natural options. Schwarzkopf was OK, but left my hair with a very noticable grey cast. Baby powder didn't work. Cocoa powder was too much of a warm brown colour to work on my ash brown hair. Translucent mineral powder worked in a pinch but is way too expensive to use on the regular. Syoss was a favourite for years because of how shiny it left my hair (no grey cast!), but I got sick of how soon the bottles ran out. 

And then there was Batiste. I spotted the bottles when they were launched at my local drugstore and since I'd seen the brand be mentioned time and time again online, I knew I had to try it.




I got three of the five available options: Clean & Classic original, Dark & Brunette and Blush with a floral scent. Other options were the volumizing version which I ignored since dry shampoo does that job perfectly anyway, and the can with a coconut-type scent. Did not tickle my fancy. Until now, the Clean and Classic is my favourite because of how neutral the scent is.

The Dark & Brunette dry shampoo is a bit of a hit and miss: on one hand I love the smell (a light version of vanilla) and the way it leaves my hair ultra shiny without even the tiniest bit of greyness.




On the other hand the darker powder is kind of gross. I mean, it gets everywhere (on my forehead, scalp and bathroom). It's not that hard to clean off but it does defeat the purpose of spritzing and running out the door, which is the main reason to use dry shampoo in the first place. Also, it makes my hair feel like I dumped a shitload of texturizing powder in there. Great if you want to create an updo or need loads of volume, not great when you just want the feeling of clean hair. Conclusion: I wouldn't go so far as to call it a ruiner of lives. The Dark & Brunette Batiste is acceptable depending on what you're looking for, but nowhere near as versatile as the Clean & Classic original.


SO. I've noticed that loads of people don't know or use dry shampoo, and that might just be because they don't know how to use it. Allow me to demonstrate.




Before: start with greasy hair. Duh.




Part your hair the way you usually do and spray some dry shampoo along the part. Create new parts on both sides of your natural part and spray some shampoo there as well, until most of the top of your head has been dealt with. Don't forget the back as the back of your head can show grease really easily. And be sure to include the hair most near the top of your forehead since that hair gets greasy and stringy the soonest.




It should look something like this now!




Now, get your hands in there and start massaging the dry shampoo into your scalp and roots just like you would if you were washing your hair the normal way. After this step, turn your head upside down over the bathtub, in the shower or outside (otherwise the powder will get everywhere) and muss up your hair, shaking the powder out by ruffling your fingers through it.




You'll look something like this now, but don't worry! Everything will work out in the end.




Get yourself together and just brush your ends out, parting your hair the way you usually would and moving all the hair to the spots where it should be.




The End! Perfectly volumised, so-fresh-and-so-clean hair. THANK YOU BATISTE YOU ARE GOD'S GIFT TO LAZY CHICKS.

Anyway, time to get to my main point: here are my reasons why the Clean & Classic Original Batiste dry shampoo is the best one I've tried yet:

- the bottle lasts for ages and can be used right until the last drops have been sprayed out (unlike the Syoss version)
- a very acceptable price point at about 4-5€ a can, which seriously lasts me weeks even though I use it all the time
- very easy to brush/shake out of your hair: none of that flaky look!
- nice scent selection
- very cute bottle design. Oh don't look at me like that.

Points on how Batiste dry shampoo could be improved:

- it still leaves a bit of a grey cast on my hair, but nothing too noticeable
- leaves my ends rather dry

Do you use dry shampoo? Have you tried Batiste's dry shampoo yet?


15 comments

  1. This is a great post! I have their Clean and Classic dry shampoo, but I don't normally use it. I think I will try it again because of this post! Also, what kind of lipstick are you wearing? I love it!
    xxx


    www.glamorousgirl2014.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing Annebeth! I was wondering about dry shampoo and I actually was looking for a good one. I don't know if I am going to find that brand here, but I now know how it works, at least. That's great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And there's a travel size of the Batiste dry shampoo! Because you do not want to waste time washing your hair when you're on a holiday :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Savannah! I'm wearing Kate Moss x Rimmel London 04, a very cool toned dark purple I'm in love with. I'm wearing it here as well:
    http://stylingdutchman.blogspot.be/2013/10/review-bourjois-healthy-mix-foundation.html
    http://stylingdutchman.blogspot.be/2013/09/shearling-biker-jacket-velvet-skirt.html
    http://stylingdutchman.blogspot.be/2013/09/faux-fur-jacket-dark-purple-lipstick.html

    thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Die MOET ik hebben. Ik probeer m'n haar ook zo weinig mogelijk te wassen (al die hassle, pfooe) en soms was ik wel eens alleen mijn frouke. Ik had ook al de droogshampoo van Syoss geprobeerd, en na de 4de keer gaf ie het al op! Het is er toen niet meer van gekomen om eens een ander merk uit te proberen. But you just convinced me girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really makes perfect voluminous hair!xo Anastasia

    Natbee'sFashion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Das dus precies wat ik bij syoss altijd heb. Maakt het veel te duur!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ik gebruik niet echt droogshampoo, wat ik mij soms beklaag als ik 's morgens opsta en zie dat mijn haar vettig is! Mss moet ik het toch gaan gebruiken om zo'n scenario's te vermijden :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ik vind dat echt geweldig droogshampoo maar ik moet deze echt eens testen. Waar koop je hem? want ben al in het kruitvat gaan kijken maar niet gevonden..

    ReplyDelete
  10. heb de mijne in het kruidvat gevonden nochtans! misschien een andere kruidvat checken?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ga ik zeker eens doen dan! Want hoor er alleen maar goede dingen over!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ook eens die kokos gebruiken, die ruikt echt goed! Ben wel een beetje prejudiced, hou altijd van all things tropical!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aangezien ik de original bijna nergens vind is de tropical mijn vaste dry shampoo geworden ja :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aangezien ik de original bijna netgens vibd is de tropical mijn vaste dry shampoo geworden ja :D

    ReplyDelete